A Certain Lack of Focus

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Sleep Deprived

So I got about an hour and a half of sleep last night.
catI can't really complain, (because I know no one reading will have any sympathy) since the reason I had insomnia problems above and beyond the norm last night was because my sleep schedule is so completely screwed. In my defense, I think most people (most non-morning people that is) when not kept to a semi-regular schedule by school (my classes are mostly at night) or a job (my job has super flexible hours) will sleep in. The trouble is once you start sleeping in until eleven, if you get to bed a little later than usual (read: 4 am instead of 2) maybe the next day you get up at noon. And then of course you get sucked into finishing your book the next night and don't get to bed until 4:30 or 5, and getting up at 1pm doesn't seem all that unreasonable. robotReally I can't even claim that this is all fine and good during the week, because I barely wake up, the day feels hazy and dim, and after only a few hours it's night again, and I've got nothing done that I needed/intended to do. The more immediate issue is that when I've slowly fallen into a 4:00am- 1:00pm sleep schedule, and need to be a half hour early to my 9 am class, 40 minutes away on Saturday morning. Yech.

Anyway in my sleep deprived state I'm not up for much as far as intellectual activities go, so I've spent the last hour or so building cartoon robots online.

Which brings me to the main point of this whole post, which is that while searching for more cartoon robot building sites, I stumbled on an OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) talking about the science of Star Wars (Oregon and Star Wars, what more could you want?) which gives step-by-step instructions on how to build a balloon powered mini-hovercraft. balloonToo cool. This reminds me of the activities I used to bring along with me when I was thirteen and babysitting. It looks pretty easy, but since I don't have kids I probably won't be actually building it any time soon (we have enough junk around with out adding a broken down hovercraft) but it gave me a nice moment of nostalgia, plus I think it's a pretty clever activity. Just goes to show you that Oregon rocks. OMSI by the way is a great science museum. Admittedly it's been a few (15) years since I've been inside, but in my memory it has the same feel as the Cleveland Science Center (another wonderful kid friendly Science Museum). If you ever make your way to Portland you should definitely check it out. Or for that matter if you make it to Cleveland, you should check out our version, but Portland will forever be my favorite city.

No comments: