A Certain Lack of Focus

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Garden

I took today's drawing from various photos on Kim's garden site.flowersIt's hard to tell these are flowers I guess since I'm just using line and no value, but line is quite fun for me and I haven't had much time to play with it lately so this was a nice exercise. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed drawing flowers, I was wanting to draw something organic but uncomplicated (and flowers believe it or not are surprisingly simple when compared to other plant life). Here are some flower drawings I did years ago when I was in a product design class (Industrial Design) which I unfortunately dropped because I was an idiot.

I'm not sure what kind of pen this is, since I'm fairly certain it's before I discovered microns but it's obviously got a very fine point. I'm thinking it might have been one of the decorative roller point pens I loved when I was younger, with a .01 point.flowersI loved doing this drawing, and ended up using the eye-like buds for a creature drawing a few years later. I might post that some later day if I can find it in my old sketch books.
flowersThis one is kind of loose, which I think is the charm.flowersMy favorite part of this drawing is the joint on the bottom twig. I also think the energy of the bouncy leaves is a lot of fun.
flowersThose drawings were taken from a sketchbook assignment under John Caruso, I'd guess in 2001 or 2002. Frighteningly, they're all more effective than the drawing I just did today (though it's hard to tell at this size and with scanner problems), which makes me think I need FAR more practice...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet. My flowers look very cool here. :)

Anonymous said...

i love the third set of drawings. It's lovely to see the budding process of roses

Meagan said...

Thanks! Glad you guys enjoyed them.

Willie Baronet said...

Nice work! Love the color treatment.